One of the great blessings of the 21st century is the emergence of the internet, this thing that brings us all together in a unique bond, and makes the world seem so small. It no news that our world has truly become a global village, but as with all things: this also has its advantages and disadvantages.
Being digitally connected can be beneficial but at the same time poses a great challenge especially for us as parents. This is especially true in this age where pornographic sites are just a click away, sexual predators are actively seeking vulnerable minors, and cults (terrorist groups included) are constantly recruiting online among other things.
We recently celebrated my nephew’s 7th birthday, and I must say that it’s been such a blessing to watch him grow up (Yes, I’m a proud uncle lol). Before he could even talk, my nephew could use a mobile phone, and now that he is older he shocks everyone when he uses an iPad. This simply tells me that the internet and digital media are here to stay; and each generation that grows up in this digital age is going to be more techno savvy than the former.
Internet-access to social media, various search engines, online streaming of movies via mobile phones, tablets and other devices are currently a noticeable part of daily family lives. In light of this, it is very important that parents take sensible steps to protect their children, but the question is: how can we protect our children from all the negative and inappropriate content readily available on the web? Well, we don’t claim to have all the answers, but here are a few guidelines we believe will help as you figure out how best to do this:
- It is important to have an honest and open discussion with your children about the importance of protecting themselves, guarding their hearts, as it were (Proverbs 4:23). This should be an ongoing discussion to constantly remind them of the dangers they could be exposing themselves to. Talk to your child or children about the great rewards of purity.
- Always make it a habit to read movie reviews to find out more about the content of the movie before choosing to view it in your home.
- It is not intrusive to check on the sites visited by your child, a parent is better safe than sorry.
- Model wise entertainment decisions. Children learn by imitation, so it’s an absolute certainty that if you say one thing and act completely different, your children will pick up on it sooner or later.
- Finally, pray for them because « If the LORD does not build the house, the work of the builders is useless; and if the LORD does not protect the city, it is useless for the sentries to stand guard » (Psalms 127:1 GNB).
It is our prayer that Christian parents answer the Lords call to protect their children and train them in the joys of purity. Psalms 127:3 “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruits of the womb a reward from him.”
We are open for your calls every day from Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm (EAT Time). Why not call us on +254 728 826220? Be encouraged today.